Nonthaburi is over 400 years old, dating
back to when Ayutthaya was the capital. The town was originally located at
Tambon Ban Talat Khwan, a famous fruit orchard where the Chao Phraya River and
various canals pass through.
King Prasat Thong ordered the digging of a canal as a
shortcut from the south of Wat Thai Muang to Wat Khema because the old waterway
flowed into Om River to Bang Yai then to Bang Kruai Canal next to Wat Chalo
before ending in front of Wat Khema.
After the new shortcut was completed, the Chao Phraya
River changed its flow into the new route that remains today. In 1665, King
Narai the Great noticed that the new route gave enemies too much proximity to
the capital. Therefore, he ordered that a fortress be built at the mouth of Om
River and relocated Nonthaburi to this area. A city shrine still stands there.
Later during the reign of King Rama IV of the
Rattanakosin period, he ordered the town moved to the mouth of Bang Su Canal in
Ban Talat Khwan. King Rama V then had the provincial hall built there on the
left bank of the Chao Phraya River. In 1928, the hall was moved to
Ratchawitthayalai, Ban Bang Khwan, Tambon Bang Tanao Si. It is now the Training
Division of the Ministry of Interior on Pracha Rat 1 Road, Amphoe Muang, on the
bank of the Chao Phraya River. The building is of European architecture
decorated with patterned woodwork. The Fine Arts Department has registered it as
an historical site. The provincial hall is now on Rattanathibet Road.
How to get there
Take a Tha Chang-Bangkok Noi-Bang Yai ferry line from
Chang Pier. It operates from 06.30 to 23.00 hrs. and leaves from the pier every
30 minutes. The best time for the visitors to ride a
ferry is from 08.30 to 15.30 hrs.
There are also daily express boats or Chao Phraya express boats
between Wat Ratcha Singh Khon Pier,Amphoe Yanawa and Wat Toei Pier,
Amphoe Pak Kret District from 6 am. to 6 pm., leaving the pier every 20
minutes For more information, please contact Chao Phraya Express Boat
Co.Ltd. Tel : 0 2222 5330 or 0 2623 6001-3 or
From Phra Nang Klao Bridge turn left to Bang Kruai for 17
kilometres at Bang Bua Thong junction, turn right to Nonthaburi District Office
at Wat Chalo, continue driving for 500 metres. Wat Bang O will be found on the